Author: Claire Scott @clairebear_bites
The texture is elevated by a homemade streusel topping, adding a delightful crunch to each bite. Whether you’re a vegan or simply looking to explore the world of plant-based baking, these muffins are an excellent choice: they’re moist, flavorful, and packed with the goodness of flax eggs and almond milk, offering a healthier alternative to traditional muffin recipes. These muffins are versatile and sure to please any palate, perfect for a morning treat, a midday snack, or even as a dessert. Plus, their freezer-friendly nature ensures you can always have a fresh, delicious treat on hand. Delight in the fusion of fresh citrus and sweet, crunchy streusel with every bite of these sumptuous muffins!
2 tbsp vegan butter
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
2-3 tbsp Sumo Citrus zest
1/2 cup Sumo Citrus juice
2 flax eggs (6 tbs water mixed with 2 tbsp ground flax)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup almond milk
3/4 cup maple syrup
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
- Start by making the streusel. Add all ingredients into a small bowl and massage together with your fingertips until breadcrumb consistency forms. Set aside.
- Next, preheat the oven to 375 F and line a muffin tin with muffin cups or lightly grease with avocado oil.
- Now, on to the muffins! First, make the flax eggs in a small bowl. Simply whisk together 2 tbsp ground flax with 6 tbsp of water and allow to rest for 5 mins.
- While the flax eggs set, in a large bowl, whisk together the sumo citrus zest, coconut oil, and sugar. Then add the flax egg, Sumo Citrus juice, and almond milk.
- Next, whisk in the baking soda, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
- Then, fold in the flour. The batter will be loose and slightly lumpy.
- Spoon batter into the muffin cups. Be sure to fill them amply. It will fill 11-12.
- Sprinkle with the streusel mixture and bake for 20-23 mins. Or until when inserting a toothpick, it comes out clean. Keep an eye on them, as they do cook fast!
- Once baked. Remove from the tin carefully and transfer to a rack.