While the ingredients may seem unusual, this cake is divine. For anyone who likes orange creamsicle or a fresh orange soda, this cake is absolutely perfect for you!
This recipe is best made with Sumo Citrus because they pack a more sweet citrus taste without the sour, taking the flavor well beyond the more common clementine cake that inspired this recipe. Versatile and refreshing, this cake is the perfect WOW dessert for dinner guests! It’s also a favorite accompaniment to an afternoon cup of tea or coffee – something about the bright citrus flavor makes it as much a daytime dessert as a sophisticated post-dinner treat. If you make it once you’ll make it again! With only 6 ingredients, this cake is as easy as it is delicious.
- 2 medium Sumo Citrus
- 5 eggs
- 1 ½ cups + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 ½ cups + 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup whipped cream, plus more as desired
- Add the whole, uncut Sumo Citrus to a small pot. Fill with water to just cover the fruit and bring the water to a boil on the stove. Cook at a low boil with the lid partially covering for 2 hours.
- Drain the water and allow the Sumo Citrus to cool. Once cooled, cut the Sumo Citrus in half and remove any seeds. Remove and discard the top knot.
- Add the Sumo Citrus, rind and flesh, to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and oil and line a 10-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs and sugar. Use an electric mixer with whisk attachment to mix well at high speed until the mixture has noticeably expanded and is pale yellow in color. Then fold in the Sumo Citrus slurry with a spatula until well mixed.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add almond flour and baking powder and mix well. Then add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients in about ½ cup increments, stirring gently with a spatula until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the top appears to darken quickly, cover the cake with foil and continue to bake.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before removing from the springform pan. Top with whipped cream and garnish with fresh Sumo Citrus if desired.