First of all, this recipe is very easy. After trying it yourself, you’ll be more likely to make it at home than order for takeout. Swapping the typical orange flavor for Sumo citrus adds so much flavor. You can also decrease the amount of added sugar in traditional orange chicken because Sumo Citrus is sweeter!
This recipe is a favorite Friday night dishes because it’s super quick but feels extra special, just like takeout. Serve with or without rice and enjoy hot. We promise you never had Orange Chicken with this much flavor!
⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon cornstarch
½ cup water
1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
⅓ cup canola or avocado oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoons red chili flakes
1 Sumo Citrus, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
¼ cup sugar (add 2 more tablespoons if you like it sweeter)
2 teaspoons sesame oil
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
2 long stalks green onion, sliced
Optional: toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- In a small bowl or jar, add 1 tablespoon cornstarch and ½ cup cold water. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add chicken and ⅓ cup cornstarch. Gently mix with a spoon or spatula until chicken pieces are coated in cornstarch.
- Heat oil in a large pan at medium high heat. Add chicken pieces carefully and fry, turning on occasion, until the pieces are crisp and golden brown on all sides (about 7 minutes).
- When fully cooked, gently remove the chicken from the frying pan and transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- Remove all but a tablespoon of oil from the frying pan and set over medium heat.
- Add garlic and red chili flakes. Cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds to a minute until the garlic is golden brown and fragrant.
- Add Sumo Citrus juice, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, ground ginger, and the cornstarch mixed with water from step 1 (remix if separation has occurred) to the pan. Use a spatula to mix the ingredients well in the pan.
- Bring the sauce to a low boil until thickened (about 2-3 minutes) then turn heat to low.
- Return the fried chicken pieces to the pan along with Sumo Citrus zest and green onions. Stir to coat the chicken pieces in sauce and reheat. Then remove from heat, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, and enjoy!