Sumo Citrus® description
What is a Sumo Citrus® ?
- Exclusive new citrus varietal, developed in Japan and now grown on family farms in California's San Joaquin Valley.
- Large mandarin with some orange parentage. Its unique characteristics include a large, distinct shape that's easy to peel.
- Naturally seedless, sweet and juicy — Sumo Citrus® are 'enormously good to eat'.
- Limited supplies available from
Sumo Citrus® is unique in that it is large, seedless, exceptionally juicy, very sweet and easy to peel. Its homely exterior belies delicious individual sections bursting with delicate flavor.
The unique size, shape and look of Sumo Citrus® distinguish it from other mandarins.
Its Asian origin makes it exotic, but since it is grown here in California, food safety and freshness are ensured at a fraction of the price that it costs in Japan.
Size & Appearance
- Easy to identify with the unique shape, bumpy rind and knob on the top that we like to call the Sumo Citrus® 'top-knot.'
- Handle with care – Don't let the rough exterior fool you. While the fruit looks tough and indestructible on the outside, it is somewhat delicate.
- Gently squeeze, if it "gives" a little, it means it's at its optimum taste and ready
Easy to Peel
- One-piece peel – The Sumo Citrus® 'top-knot' makes the fruit fun and easy to peel.
- The bumpy and loose rind is characteristic of the variety and contributes to the easy peeling.
- "Eat in the Car Test" — Unlike other citrus varieties, Sumo Citrus® is 'neat' meaning no sticky mess, and hands stay dry.
- Sumo Citrus® has very little albedo or rag (the white part of citrus), allowing the fruit to section easily with less of the white "netting" sticking to the fruit.
Easy to Eat
- The large rough outside reveals a juicy and sweet surprise within.
- Sumo Citrus® is seedless!
- "Melts in Your Mouth" – The unique soft rag has no bitterness and the membranes covering each segment are so thin that they practically melt.
- Exceptionally sweet citrus variety, with very low acid.
- Eat anytime, anywhere as an "everyday" fruit, for snacks, in desserts, breakfast, salads, etc.
- Naturally sweet, healthy replacement for artificially sweetened candy and other high sugar snack foods.
- Low acidity level, great for sensitive stomachs that have trouble with high acid levels in other citrus.
- Good source of Vitamin C. It is Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium free.
- Contains Folate, Potassium and other vitamins and minerals
- In addition, Sumo Citrus® is a good source of Fiber.
- Sumo Citrus® trees are hand pruned, and fruit is hand thinned to maintain optimum number of fruit, delivering the best possible flavor.
- Picked and packed individually by hand, to avoid damage and ensure quality.
- Tested for ripeness before harvest for optimum taste.
- Grown and packed with the highest food safety standards.
- Environmentally friendly, safe and "green" packaging
- All packaging material is 100% recyclable